Gum disease is far too common. With that in mind, those of us at David Rice DDS in Elgin have put together a short quiz to test your knowledge about this totally preventable condition.
1. Which of the following are risk factors for gum disease?
d. Family history
2. Which of the items below are possible signs of gum disease?
a. Teeth that look like they are longer
b. A change in the way dentures fit
c. Bleeding gums
d. Inflamed gums
3. Which of the things listed below are possible health problems linked to untreated gum disease?
b. Low birth weight babies
c. Parkinson’s disease
4. What percentage of men and women age 65+ have gum disease?
5. Which of the following protocols are used for gum disease?
a. Scaling and root planing
b. Soft tissue grafts
c. Flap surgery
d. Flip surgery
1. All of the above. Pregnancy, menopause, or any other condition that causes hormonal changes is a risk factor as is any type of malocclusion.
2. All of the above. Note: some patients don’t notice any symptoms.
Gum disease usually responds well to treatment—especially if caught early. If you haven’t seen a dentist in a while, or have been noticing issues with your gums or teeth, call us at David Rice DDS in Elgin to set up an appointment. We also provide dental implants, and general and family dentistry.