According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 25% of adults over 65 have no remaining teeth. Many people with missing no teeth choose dentures. But dentures are not without issues, and there is a state-of-the-art alternative at David Rice DDS in Elgin.
Five Problems With Dentures
- Conventional dentures usually fit properly at first, but the mouth changes as you age. Normal wear and tear take their toll. Eventually, the dentures will need to be relined or replaced.
- Ill-fitting dentures can aggravate gums and cause inflammation. Inflammation can result in additional health issues.
- Dentures can change a person’s bite, which impacts the (jaw) joint. This, in turn, can lead to pain in the face, neck, and head.
- Dentures trap food debris. This can result in gum disease.
- Missing teeth eventually result in bone loss. When the jaw no longer has tooth roots, it shrinks and recedes.
Dental implants enable you to avoid these health issues.
Dental implants are titanium posts inserted into your jaw. Once the post fuses with the bone, it provides a solid base of support, much like a natural tooth root. One implant can support one artificial tooth, and several can support dentures.
Dental implants from David Rice DDS in Elgin may be the best investment you make. People from Bartlet, South Elgin, and Wayne come to us for implants and other restorative dentistry. Schedule an appointment with us today!