There is never a good time to have a toothache. The sensation can be anything from a dull ache to sharp pain. It might be throbbing and persistent, or only there when you bite into something. You may need immediate attention, and if you do, David Rice DDS in Elgin IL is your go-to resource.
The most common causes of toothache pain include the following:
- Tooth Decay: The most common cause of a toothache, by far, is tooth decay. That means a cavity, or a hole in the enamel of the tooth. Once tooth decay reaches the middle layer of a tooth, it causes increased sensitivity to touch and temperature.
- Pulpitis: Another common cause of toothache pain is pulpitis. This is when the pulp at the center of a tooth has become inflamed and irritated. If it is reversible, we can do a drill-and-fill. If it isn’t, then a root canal is probably in order.
- Abscess: When bacteria builds up inside a tooth’s pulp chamber and becomes infected, it causes an abscess. The infection tries to drain itself out of the tip of the tooth root. The pressure associated with it can be very painful. Once again, a root canal may be in order.
- Impacted Tooth: This means a tooth is unable to move into its proper position in the mouth. It happens because other teeth are in the way. The most common teeth to become impacted are the wisdom teeth, which, for most people, come in during the late teens or early twenties. An extraction is usually in order.
- Sensitive Teeth: This usually means that your teeth are extra-sensitive to temperature. You don’t have a toothache in the usual sense. Fluoride treatment and brushing with sensitive-teeth toothpaste can alleviate the pain. Most toothpaste brands have a line of sensitive tooth pastes.
If you have a toothache, there is no reason to wait for your regular dentist. At David Rice DDS in Elgin IL we treat toothache pain and offer complete restorative dentistry. People from Bartlet, South Elgin, and Wayne also come to us for cosmetic options and dental implants. Contact us today!